- U.S. F-16s From Aviano AB Have Started Supporting NATO Enhanced Air Policing From Bulgaria
- The multinational live-fly exercise Thracian Viper 2020 ends today
- Bulgaria Hosts Multinational Flying Training Thracian Viper 2020
- NATO Allies Secure The Skies Over the Black Sea
- Инцидент с индонезийски УТС KAI T-50i Golden Eagle
- C-130 aircraft arrive in Bulgaria for Thracian Fall
- Bulgaria begins talks with Lürssen shipyard for two new warships
- Aero Vodochody sold to new joint venture
- An explosive ordnance disposal platoon of the Land Forces was evaluated as "Combat ready" to perform duty in the NATO Follow-on Force
- Bulgarian MoD wants to sell Mig-29s
SOFIA, (BM) – The government is negotiating with partner countries to acquire two second-hand submarines for the Navy, said Minister of Defense Krasimir Karakachanov, learned BulgarianMilitary.com.
“The question is whether or not the project can be implemented between 2024 and 2027,” Karakachanov told reporters in Varna.
The Navy has not had a submarine for years, having dismantled the latter because of its advanced age.
Experts say the lack of a submarine makes it difficult to train sailors. In addition, the specific reconnaissance capabilities provided by the submarine have sharply reduced.
At the end of last year, Prime Minister Boyko Borisov mentioned that he could buy a second-hand submarine from Norway, but it is not clear how far the process has gone.
In addition, Karakachanov announced that a contract could be signed by August for the construction of two new patrol vessels for the Bulgarian Navy. He recalled that the competition for the selection of a contractor was already over. The Prime Minister is yet to appoint a working group to clarify the latest project details with the approved company.
The clarifications should be completed within a maximum of 3 months, Karakachanov said, quoted by BTA.
He added that his information indicates that the ships will be built in Varna.
The German company “Fr. Lurssen Werft GmbH & Co.KG” will almost certainly receive the billionth order.
The Bulgarian company MTG – Dolphin, which previously refused to participate independently in the project and did not submit an offer, although it was considered a favorite, may become its subcontractor.
Only two companies submitted bids “Fr. Lurssen Werft GmbH & Co.KG” and the Italian Fincantieri.