- Spain offers to send fighter jets to Bulgaria as part of NATO plan to deter Russia
- NETHERLANDS READY TO DEPLOY F-35 TO NATO AIR POLICING IN BULGARIA
- Netherlands ready to deploy F-35 to NATO Air Policing in Bulgaria
- Spain offers to send fighters to Bulgaria to contribute to deterrence plans against Russia
- Bulgarian-American 6-month-long military exercise starts in Novo Selo range
- Working time for the Aviation Museum during the holidays
- US Ambassador Mustafa received an Honorary Diploma from the Bulgarian National Defense College
- OPERATION FRANKTON, COCKLESHELL HEROES
- PHOTOS: F-15 and bulgarian MiG-29 - U.S., Bulgarian aircrews “ACE” Castle Forge together
- Bulgarian National And Washington State Man Charged in Connection With International Enterprise That Operated Sexually Exploitive “Child Modeling” Websites
SOFIA, (BM) – The government is negotiating with partner countries to acquire two second-hand submarines for the Navy, said Minister of Defense Krasimir Karakachanov, learned BulgarianMilitary.com.
“The question is whether or not the project can be implemented between 2024 and 2027,” Karakachanov told reporters in Varna.
The Navy has not had a submarine for years, having dismantled the latter because of its advanced age.
Experts say the lack of a submarine makes it difficult to train sailors. In addition, the specific reconnaissance capabilities provided by the submarine have sharply reduced.
At the end of last year, Prime Minister Boyko Borisov mentioned that he could buy a second-hand submarine from Norway, but it is not clear how far the process has gone.
In addition, Karakachanov announced that a contract could be signed by August for the construction of two new patrol vessels for the Bulgarian Navy. He recalled that the competition for the selection of a contractor was already over. The Prime Minister is yet to appoint a working group to clarify the latest project details with the approved company.
The clarifications should be completed within a maximum of 3 months, Karakachanov said, quoted by BTA.
He added that his information indicates that the ships will be built in Varna.
The German company “Fr. Lurssen Werft GmbH & Co.KG” will almost certainly receive the billionth order.
The Bulgarian company MTG – Dolphin, which previously refused to participate independently in the project and did not submit an offer, although it was considered a favorite, may become its subcontractor.
Only two companies submitted bids “Fr. Lurssen Werft GmbH & Co.KG” and the Italian Fincantieri.